Monday, April 23, 2012

Roll Roll Cotton Boll is a flimsy!!

I can't believe it myself!  I worked like a madwoman - well I was angry and maybe that helped.. lol

My design wall is not large enough for this beast, so poor Joey is standing on the loveseat, trying to hold it up for me to take a picture, and even so, the top row of blocks is folded over behind, so it's still not a full shot, but close enough.




As of Friday night, I only had the rows sewn together and about 4 of the diagonal rows sewn to each other.  I finished off sewing the rows to the middle point, then started from the other end and sewed those together, and then sewed the 2 halves together.

Then, the inner border was done.

Then, I had to sew all those parallelograms into the sets needed for the top and side borders and the corners.  Unfortunately, I seemed to be short on the borders and had to add 2 more parallelograms to each one.  These pieced borders aren't perfect, but it was a good learning experience and I'll know what to keep in mind and watch out for in future ones.

I can't believe how warm this thing is, even without being sandwiched yet.  Having it draped over my lap pinning the borders on kept me warm enough I was thinking I should turn the furnace down.  Good thing I didn't cause we woke up to fresh snow this morning!

Thank you so much Bonnie for a wonderful mystery quilt.  This pattern will be in her next book coming out in July and it's not for the faint of heart, but it's well worth the effort and was a great learning experience for me. 

How I'm going to manage to sandwich this properly and quilt it is still being decided.  I think I'm going to use the board method to sandwich it.... and That Man Quilts had some beautiful pictures of how he quilted his... I might have to try to duplicate some of those ideas.

Then I can get back to her Orca Bay mystery.  :)

I also took pictures of my snowmen placemats.  I've had these done for a while but hadn't photographed them yet.



Aren't they cute?  There are 4 of them in total.  This project was really good for me to practice my applique skills.  I have another pattern with mittens to do.  Maybe I'll have those done for next christmas.. lol

I'm also going to get a picture soon of the dresden plate table runner I completed for my glass coffee table.  I used a Stonehenge charm pack and I love the fabrics.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your quilt to flimsy stage. RRCB is a beast! I am in the middle of FMQing it on my DSM and now wishing I would have handquilted it. But it is a wonderful beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I really like your flimsy! What lovely colors. :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...