Saturday, September 27, 2014

Dyeing with Black Walnuts

Thanks to Judy in our guild, who is a complete and utter “enabler” LOL, I gathered, I’m figuring about 50 lbs of black walnuts this morning.
I’m definitely not using them all myself. I’ve got a batch simmering on the stove right now, the rest I’ll share with the guild.
I weighed out 5 lbs. After husking them, it netted 3 lbs.
I threw the seeds over the fence behind our house… it hadn’t even been 30 seconds before a squirrel was there and had one in his mouth. I’m pretty sure they smelled them while I was husking and were just watching and waiting, little stalkers!
I couldn’t believe the colour of the liquid within a couple minutes of putting the husks in the pot. A nice brown. By the time it came to a boil, it has become a greeny-brown. Now it’s simmering for an hour or so… I’ll keep an eye on it.








1 comment:

  1. How interesting. Can't wait to see step 2: the fabric dipping!! Oh I am keeping my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...