Sunday, July 17, 2011

Free Motion Quilting - practice

I love my Janome Horizon.  It's an amazing machine, and does take quite a bit to get use to.

Free motion quilting is definitely an art form that takes a LOT of practice!

As such, I've read various books, magazines, web sites, watched numerous youtube videos, and recently purchased several of Patsy Thompson's dvds.  Ricky Tims does some amazing work as well, far beyond my reach (at this time).

Following along with Patsy's dvd, Fast and Free! Volume 0.5 I've stitched up a few of her lessons.  This is my progress so far.  These quilt sandwiches are 8.5" x 11".

The first section is all loopy patterns.

Stippling


Loops

Loops with stars


Loops with hearts (these aren't easy)


Loops with flowers


Loops with sun bursts (I apparently suck at straight, pointy lines) :)

But, it all takes practice, getting the tension wasn't much of an issue, it's getting the speed of the machine coordinated with the movement of my hands that's not so smooth yet.

Today I'll do the next section which is all lines, triangles, etc.

As a side note, I found these pictures that I haven't posted anywhere.  Jim and I went camping for the May 24 long weekend this year and Jake had such a wonderful, fresh air, exciting time, he was exhausted on the ride home... Jim snapped a few pics.  hehehe

Falling asleep sitting up

He couldn't stay awake, rested his head on the center console from the back seat

I guess he had a fun weekend too

1 comment:

  1. I like your FM practice squares. Just wondering what you are planning to do with them. I think I am going to watch some of those videos and try my hand at some of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...