Sunday, November 27, 2011

Orca Bay Mystery - Step 2


I did these yesterday.  These are sooooo cute!  Seventy-two 3 1/2" string blocks for Bonnie's Orca Bay Mystery.


See my bright pressing board cover/sleeve underneath them?  I made that first thing yesterday morning before I started on the string blocks. 

I'd asked Jim to cut me a 24" by 24" board from the wood in the garage a few weeks ago.  I layered it with batting and then canvas.  It works well, a nice hard pressing surface... but it was starting to look pretty grungy.

As I looked at my stash, I saw this fabric.  It's one that I had to have when I visited Aunt Beth's Quilt World in Navan, Ontario (just outside Ottawa), several months ago during a Poker Dash Shop Hop.  I had already picked up a couple fabrics that I wanted, and just as I was heading to the cash, this one caught my eye.  It's so bright and cheery!  Didn't know what I was going to use it for until yesterday morning.  Now I have a pretty cover that I can just take off and wash as needed.

Now I need to sort through the trimmings from the string blocks... new additions to my crumb bin! Yay!  I have a story about crumbs... but will save that for another blog post.

While I was at it, I cut up the 168 papers for the 4 1/2" neutral string blocks I need for Jamestown Landing.  I have a ton of neutral strings.  Really don't think I'll even make a dent in that basket after 168 blocks.... but for now, those can wait.

... on to Step 1 for Orca Bay.

12 comments:

  1. Love the purple strings. They are really very striking in the first picture with the orange background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those are pretty. Especially against that vibrant background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a busy little bee and with great results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great string blocks, your quilt is going to be striking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your purple strings are gorgeous! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your purple strings. It is so fun to see all the different color combinations people are coming up with. I have Jamestown landing started as well but I put it on the back burner until this one is done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those purple strings are gorgeous!! I'm looking forward to see what the finished project looks like. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am making purple strings too! What other colors are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow - those are really beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your purple blocks are adorable. I did purple too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...