Sunday, March 6, 2011

Drunkards Path blocks

Is it just me?  Everytime I read the quilting yahoo groups, look at other quilters blogs, see magazines and web sites, I'm always thinking... I want to try that block! 

Even though I have a couple projects on the go, I want to try others, see if I can make them, see how they turn out, envisioning lap quilts and bed quilts.  I can spend hours designing them in EQ7.... only to be put on the backburner because I want to get the others finished first.

But... as I go, I've been stocking up on tools and equipment that I know I'll need to make these things.

A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend and I did a day trip to Watertown, NY to check out the Jo-Ann's Fabric store there.  I have been to the one in Ogdensburg, but found it very small and as such, had a limited selection of fabrics, quilting notions and odds and ends.

At the time, Jo-Ann's emailed flyer said that they have the Accu Quilt Go cutter on sale for $199.00.  Now that's a steal considering it's been selling for $349.00.  But, I keep hesitating on purchasing it, mainly because I see the wasted scraps of fabric after you've cut the pieces you need. 

Now as all quilters know, there are ways to use scraps... and Bonnie Hunter is the absolute Queen of scraps!  But, they would have to be a certain size to even utilize in small pieced blocks, the rest can always be used for stuffing pet beds and such.

That's been my bone of contention with the decision to buy or not buy the Go Cutter.

So the other day, I decided to try and make some Drunkards Path blocks, using the Inklingo product I have.  Now, this is an amazing product.  The ebooks/patterns come in pdf form, all the calcuations are done for you to print the pattern pieces on the backs of your fabric for cutting and there are marks as well to match up while you're piecing.

I'm not big on doing a lot of pinning, and one of the products I purchased to help sew curves is the CurveMaster foot.

Luckily, there are Youtube videos of people using this foot and it looks quite ingenious!

After a few false starts, a few pieces sewn together that I had to rip apart and do over again, I finally got the hang of it.

I used a blue hawaiian type print that I found a while ago and a neutral with blue and yellow flowers.

Here's a few of the blocks I've made.  I'm really impressed!  They go together so easily!  I do have enough of this material to make a queensized top.... so this will be a work in process. 



Of course it is a little tedious to cut out all the pieces, but I get six sets per page of fabric (8 1/2 by 12), and there's very little waste. 

I save time by printing on the back of the light fabric, then iron with starch the light and dark fabrics together, and cut together.  The straight lines can be cut with a rotary cutter, and so can the curved pieces if you're careful.  It's a nice easy thing to do while watching tv if you want to do it all with scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...